Used Book Cellar
Since 2004, the Used Book Cellar, located in the basement of Brookline Booksmith, has been Boston’s best-kept secret. With over 25,000 books in our inventory, you’re guaranteed to find something to pique your interest. Whether you’re looking for a good mystery to get you through the commute home, a picture book for your family story time, or some hard-hitting cultural analysis, there’s always a good reason to stop by!
How does it work?
Used Book Buying Thursdays, Fridays & Saturdays, 10am-4pm
What are we looking for?
- Gently used and up-to-date paperback fiction and non-fiction.
- At the buyer’s discretion we consider hardcovers in graphic novels, art, cooking (published post-2010) and unique vintage editions (published pre-1980).
What don’t we take?
- Hardcover editions of books available in paperback (most hardcovers come out in paperback after a year.)
- Textbooks, coursebooks & test prep books (e.g. SAT, AP, TOEFL etc.)
- Travel guides
- Computer/technology guides
- Books with water damage, broken spines, dog-eared pages, highlighting, underlining or handwriting (front page notes/inscriptions are ok)
- Books sold from our $1 racks
- Rare, antiquarian or collectible editions
- Wholesale lots or estates
Our buyers reserve the right to pass on any book they deem unusable.
Our staff cannot
- Make house calls
- Leave the store or give curbside assistance
- Issue cash or credit for books left at the store outside buying hours
- Appraise rare, antiquarian or collectible editions.
- Split a payment between cash and credit
- Issue more than one sales slip per customer per day
Thursday, Friday, and Saturday 10am-4pm
No appointment needed.Photo ID required.
We offer 15% of original price in cash (checks over $50) OR 20% in store credit. Store credit can be used for anything in the store and never expires!